Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Birthday dinner at Porteno, Bodega and Longrain! :D



My next Birthday dinner destination was Porteno, Surry Hills.  I had heard brilliant reviews about their 8 Hour Woodfired Pork and other meats, and I was soooper excited to check this place out!







Tada! :D




Look at that beautiful lady! She reminded me of Marilyn Monroe :D


 

















From the menu, we chose the Calamares Asados ($28) to start.  The food came out very quickly which was awesome cos we were staaarved.  We were given a very generous plate of thick juicy slabs of BBQ calamari, marinated green beans which were sitting atop a pool of thick, creamy, yoghurt tahini tartare.  Oh mans I LOVE YOGHURT and this cream concoction was sooo deliiiish!




The next dish that came was the Repollitos De Brusela Frito ($16).  I had really been looking forward to trying this dish probably as much as their famous wood-fired pig, reason being that I had heard great reviews about it, and I mean how great can veges ESPECIALLY at a meat restaurant right?

WRONG! They were OMG so good.  They were fried till crispy perfection, tossed together with lentils, mint and dressed in a simple vincotto vinaigrette.  It was simply THE BEST.  

Apparently they supply the recipe for this online..need to go hunting for it after this :D

Annnnd then my meats came. Mwahahaha.







The much awaited meats.  We opted for half Chanchito A La Cruz and half Cordero A La Cruz ($46).  The beauty of Porteno is they allow you to go go half half with the meats, that way you can try more! :D 

The 8 Hour woodfired pork (Chanchito) and 8 hour woodfired lamb (Cordero) had me swwooooooning in delight. After much ooh-ing and ahh-ing, we dug into the massiiiiive pot of piggy and lamb.  THEY WERE SOOOO DELICIOUS!!! They weere soooo juicy and sooo succulent that they literally melted on the tongue.  The crispy pork crackling made me gidddyyy with happeeeee! Mwahahahah! It was definitely the winner of the night!  The lamb was also deeeelicious but the crackling wasn't as nice, it was actually a bit tough and dry! The meat was soft and juicy though! :9 yummms.




Then came the Tira De Asado ($40).  These were beef short ribs cut at 2cm across the rib, and though it was super flavoursome, the meat was waaaaay to tough for our liking.  I struggled to chew and swallow the pieces which put me off the meat a bit! Probably wouldn't order this again!







It was served with a sight of chimmichurri sauce which was deeeelish!




Oh yeah back to me PORRRRK CRACCKKLLIIING!!!! YUMMOOOS!  

We had such a fun time at Porteno, the service was awesome and the food even more awesome!!! Was thinking of staying for dessert but remembered we had dessert plans waiting for us around the corner! :D


PorteƱo on Urbanspoon



Our next stop was Bodega, Surry Hills, which is the brother store of Porteno.  I had heard about their great desserts namely their "Banana Split" Cream flan so was super keenbeans to try that!! :D







There we go!  The famous "Banana Split’ Cream Flan, cream flan, Banana Marshmallow, Dulce De Leche Ice Cream ($16). It was OH MY BEANS SOOO AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Soo bellllly bellly gooood that it disappeared in a jiffy!! The flan was soooo creamy topped with roasty caramelised marshmallow, and the brittle salted peanuts were a great contrast to the melt in the mouth softness of the flan and marshmallow.  Oh yeah and the dulce de leche ice-cream and creamed banana was the most beaaautiful accompaniment ever!  My only qualm about the dish was the caramel sauce they used to drizzle over everything, it was a bit weird...like sweet, salty and sour :S The sour definitely balanced the sweetness but not in  good way in my opinion!  I think the salty would have been enough :D
Anyyyhoooos still deelish and my tummy is still grumbling just thinking about this!!!!!!! :9 


Bodega on Urbanspoon


Our final destination for the night was Longrain, Surry Hills.  This restaurant is one of my favourite places for dessert.  A couple of years ago I came here for my birthday with a couple of friends, and since then the memory of their delicious desserts (along with their pork hock of course) regularly floats into my head and stays there till I get me some. TEHE.




So this tower of beauty was the Taro and Coconut Pudding ($16).  It was essentially a huge slab of deliciously dense and moist taro and coconut cake, topped with peanut ice-cream, fresh shaven young coconut topped with crispy roasted coconut and drizzled with ooozy palm sugar.  Oh mans it was sooo delish!  This was my favourite dish of the night (at Longrain that is! :P)




Last but not leeeast, the Black Sticky Rice with Coconut Tapioca ($16).  It was also topped with young shaven coconut and crispy roasted coconut flakes.  This was also super yummy! Loved the tapioca and roasty coconut.  Yummmos!

We were sooo belly happy by the end of the night, and I may have dozed off in the car.  Thanks for an awesome nighhttt!! :D :D :D


Longrain Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon




8 comments:

  1. ohhhh man i heart porteno so much esp the woodfired pork!!! looks like you had an epic birthday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeeeed!! :9 you should try the lamb toooo it was almmooost on par :P

      Delete
  2. happy birthday!!! now that's a birthday feast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tehehe thanks Annie, you're sweet :D :D

      Delete
  3. hey ellie i'm organising the annual food bloggers meetup but i cant seem to find your email address on your blog can you please email me asap? susan@chocolatesuze.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw theeenks! I have emailed you :D

      Delete
  4. Woohoo birthday trifecta! Couldn't think of a better way to celebrate. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you had a great time :) This made me miss travelling. I used to jet off somewhere for vacations before I got too busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. You just inspired me to go out more, hahahah!

    ReplyDelete