Sunday, 18 August 2013

Venturing around Surry Hills on a cheery Saturday morning :)



Hellooooo my fellow beans! So the three stooges, Bee, Jia and myself headed over to Surry Hills for some lunching action wooot!

We started off at The Carrington, a culinary delight featuring fried chicken waffles :O Hahaha when I heard about them I was sold, and was like I GOTSA GET ME SOME FRIED CHICKEN AND WAFFLES YO! And gots them we diiiid! :D





Look at this succinct but super exciting menu..I mean apart from the awesome fried chicken and waffles, we were also eyeing the griddle cakes..and our very friendly waiter Matty highly recommended the chorizo and prawn sandwich, for which I will definitely be back for.  I mean sausages and prawns? Sounds way too bizarrely good to pass up :P

Now unto the Fried Chicken and Waffles with Maple Hot Sauce ($16).


Just look at thatttt!


Oh manns just looking at these pics and I am salivating, not to mention I am on a 40hr famine atm.  This is like sadistic.

Anyhoots! First and foremost, the chicken was sooooo delicious! It was nice and crispy and the innards were soft tender white meat, and not to mention BONELESS! WOOO! The meat was sooo succulent and falvoursome that I seriously think they gave KFC chicken a run for their money :O 

Now the two slabs of Belgium waffle were warm, slightly crisp, thick and full of waffle juices HAHA! Eaten together with the fried chicken and maple syrup that we drizzled rather generously over the whole dish (and had lots of fun whilst doing so) and we had the perfect concotion indeed.  It might seem like an odd mix, sweet and savoury but I assure you, it was beautiful.

We were ravenous, we tore, we pulled and we tugged, empty plate and blissfully happy faces :)



We only ordered one dish because we wanted to try as many different things as possible, however we did also want to get their Animal Fries but they were only a lunch menu item so we said we would come back later in the day! So our next stop, was Bourke St Bakery.  Actually, it wasn't initially on my list of places to visit, but The Carrington happened to be on Bourke St, so how could we possibly miss out our favourite Bourke St Bakery? :)

The Carrington Specialite: Beba y Cene on Urbanspoon




As per usual, super long lines! Annnnndd lots of goodies on display!




We opted for a Pork and Fennel Sausage Roll, and then I was told by a friend later on in the day that they also have Lamb, Almond and Harissa Sausage Rolls!! :O OMG I love lamb!! Will defs try that one next time!


Yep, we also got our favourites (if you are a dessert fan you should defs check out my dessert page :D) the Ginger Brulee Tart and Chocolate Mousse and Raspberry Tart.  Never ceases to amaze me how delicious these little treats are.  Yum yumymuymum.  I've also just realised, that I have no idea how much these goodies cost...O.o It doesn't even register in my mind probably because subconsciously my brain tells me that I will get them regardless HAHA

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

Next we plodded on to El Loco for some Mexican wooo!


We got the Corn Chips with guacamole and fresh salsa dip.  Loved this, the chips were really light and crisp and the guacamole and salsa were super duper fresh.  Like the freshest of the fresh! hhhahaha also really love the staff there, super helpful and attentive especially the guy who served me at the counter :) He was awesome.


And the Excelsior Hot Dog being a house favourite, and my favourite, had to be ordered.  Come to meee awesome grilled pork Frankfurt served on a soft bun with pickled jalepenos, pico ge gallo, mayonnaise and cheeseeee.  Did I mention that the cheese was soooo fluffy, delicate and literally melts in the mouth? Ombelly so good!  The sausage was super juicy and loved the jalepenos which gave it that extra kick.  YUM!


Weeee happeeee!




Empty table :O


EMPTY NO MOREEE! My favourite churros of all time, the fat fluffy orange infused Churros with a side of caramel dip ($7).  Love these with passion.  Every few weeks I crave these big time, so get me one of theese and I'll be over the biiiigg cheeeesy white moon :D



To the point where I took so many shots of us eating them hahahaah!

El Loco on Urbanspoon

After El Loco, we were getting full so we walked around to check out the little cute quirky stores around Surry Hills.  And then, something caught my eyes.  I stopped dead in my tracks and disappeared into an unassuming store, selling breads...deli foods..and no way hosay..NOT STACKS OF 5KG BOTTLES OF NUTELLA???? 

Oh mans I was so excited I almost tripped over myself hahaha


Cheeeeeeze Nutellla my friend!! Did I mention to you guys that I love Nutella? Like love love to the point where I can pop a bottle into the microwave, melt it and then eat it by the spoonfuls? Hahaha


I wanted to take one home with meeee but sadly I found out they cost $70...:(
So I sadly put it back and walked out, head hung low...



Our last stop was back at The Carrington.  My spirits rose as I saw Matty bring us a hugeee dish of Animal Fries ($10)! I had been dying to try ever since reading about them in Timeout http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/restaurants/features/12301/cheap-as-chips.

You basically get a very large pile of chips covered in super melty cheese, caramelised onions, creamy Thousand Island dressing and paprika.  Deeelicious!  This might have been my favourite food of the day!  The chips were perfectly crispy, and the caramlised onions provided a bit of sweetness which paired perfectly with the cheese and creamy dressing.  We even asked for more creamy dressing when we demolished the top layer of it :D

Afterwards, we wanted to get the salted milkshake at Reuben Hills but they had closed by the time we got there :( Ohhsss marshmallohhs next time!





4 comments:

  1. OMG I want to try that fried chicken waffles too!! It's gonna go on my list. haha.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol what an awesome fooding adventure. And I agree, you can't beat fried chicken and waffles for a tasty combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man i want EVERYTHING in this post right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :D it was indeed aweeeesomEE!Just came back from a food venture around melbourne, will post soon :D

    ReplyDelete