Saturday, 10 August 2013

Food Society, Darlinghurst




A long over due catch up with Jo brought us to Food Society, a funky little restaurant I had been super keen to try for the longest time. We were initially going to go to SGT Sam's featuring ribs, burgers and a whole lot of meats, but I opted out because I had just had a feast at Hurricanes the day before, and thought I might die if I were to eat copious amounts of meats, again. Buuuuut guess what? I did anyway HAH! This beellly of mine is a sneaky thing.  

Anyhoots, we were served by the most warm and lovely staff, Matt in particular who helped us through the menu and made sure we were nice and comfy! Everything on the menu looked awesome but we opted for the fried cauliflower, lamb ribs (looked tooo good to miss) aaaand squid ink risotto.  Was thinking ooo never seen black pasta before..MUST GET ME SOME SQUID INK! :O




Their fried cauliflowers ($14) were crispy, sweet, delicious perfection.  We came to the conclusion that not only were they beautifully fried, they were also caramelised, I think in red wine vinegar! It was the most awesome thing EVER! Imagine fat chunks of crispy cauliflowers, slightly sweet and sticky on the edges lightly dusted with paprika, parsley and watercress, bliiisss I say!!
Not to mention there were like 20 of them!! OMG! 




Next came a plank of beaaaautiful lamb ribs sitting on a bed of chunky roasted potatoes, tomato, eggplant and spinach.  The lamb was so soft, so tender that the meat fell off the bones when picked up.  The veges underneath were sooo delish, my favourite being the eggplant which was so juicy and flavoursome.  I think I sneakily took most of them when Jo was salivating over her ribs, TEHEH






Then came the grilled cuttlefish on squid ink risotto, parmesan and salt baked cherry tomatoes ($27).  When I saw this dish on the menu, I was SOLD IMMEDIATELY! It was like a composition of all my favourite foods-- risotto, squid and parmesan.  Super duperbly awesome it was, the risotto was so flavoursome and cooked perfectly al dente!  I found the squid ink to be really interesting tasting, in a good way :) Mooooore squid ink dishes ppleeease! Heheh and the grilled squid was amazing.  So juicy when bitten into and it wasn't stringy or too rubbery like how some places cook their squid, it was perfect.  The parmesan was melted in blobs all over the risotto, giving each spoonful an extraa cheeesy kick! :D




As you can see my love here was very happy indeed, she was like omgomgomg this is so good.  She's not normally one to go crazies over food, but that night she was like, ellie, this is amazing, enough said yo! 

Matt was so sweet, he brought us two shots of alcoholic beverage, I'm no good with alcohol so I'll just call it that, but if I were to guess what was in the drinks I would say Vodka and maybe watermelon? Anyhoots I took a sip and Jo claimed lordship over the rest of it as I'm not a big drinker.  See the two glasses in her vicinity?  She was very happy indeed hehe :D

We managed to finish most of the foods, and even though we were super stuffed, we had to try the rather delectable looking dessert menu, that we had been eyeing even before we got the mains HAH!
Dessert is ALWAYS a must we pledge!


So on our bellies perservered to order moooooreee goodies! We were initially going to get one dessert, but heck who am I kidding right, TWO desserts PLEASE! HAHA!


We opted for their signature 'pashka' with strawberry compote ($12) which was kind of like a fluffy, deconstructed cheesecake topped witih cookie crumbs and strawberry compote.  It wasn't overly sweet which Jo really liked, and the crumble gave the dish a nice crunchy addition :)  


However, the dessert that caught my eye was the beautiful chocolate ganache with chocolate mousse, white chocolate ice cream and bitter tuilea. Oh meeee o myyyy look at this evolutionary masterpiece.  I fell in love with it as soon as it touched the table.  The larger scoop was the chocolate mousse and when spooned into, there was the white chocolate ice cream I had almost forgot about.  Almost.  It was such a beautiful contrast, and when put together with some of the chocolate ganache and bitter tuilea ($12), the most beautiful composition of flavours were made.  I was sooo happpeeeee!  



Overall, we had such an enjoyable evening.  Food and service were exceptional and might I add the prices of the dishes were very reasonable.  We've made a mental note to come here more often as an awesome chillout drink and dinner spot after a long day at work or uni.  Sweeeet! :D

Food Society on Urbanspoon


4 comments:

  1. oh man those lamb ribs sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum love fatty lamb ribs, and eggplant is such a natural match too. The pashka looks like messy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were indeed! Must try the cauliflowers too, soooo goooood. Pretty keen to try their Snickerdoodle sundae :9

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lamb ribs! And errmahgerd, that chocolate ganache with everything chocolate dessert plate look and sounds epic!!!

    ReplyDelete